As the Halloween snowstorm of 2011 raged along the east coast, the members of Doylestown Fire Company were busy keeping the area safe. Firefighters and fire police responded to dozens of calls for downed trees and wires starting mid-day Saturday. At 9:26 PM Saturday night, the fire company was dispatched to 13 Maple Lane in Doylestown Borough for a chimney fire. Battalion 19, Paul Kreuter, was first on scene and found that the fire from a fireplace had spread to the wall of the home directly above the fireplace. Engine 19 arrived and with the help of Ladder 79 opened the wall above the fireplace and quickly extinguished it. Warrington and Plumsteadville firefighters assisted, along with Central Bucks Ambulance. The scene was cleared by 11 PM. There were no injuries, and minor smoke and structural damage to the residence.
During the course of the storm and it’s aftermath, the all volunteer members of the fire company responded to 35 emergency calls. They have now responded to over 550 calls for the year.
Doylestown Fire Company reminds everyone with the cold weather upon us, don’t take the safety of your heat sources for granted. Have your heaters and fireplace/chimney checked, cleaned and maintained every season.
The first annual George Casey Memorial 5K run through the streets of Doylestown Borough on October 8, 2011, was a race in memory of a man who left a legacy of community service. Casey, who passed away in late December of 2010, was a retired police officer who served in both Doylestown Borough and Plumstead Township. He was also a volunteer firefighter with both Doylestown and Plumsteadville Fire Companies. Because of this, his youngest daughter Megan decided that she wanted to undertake an event in the memory of her father that would benefit the two fire companies he gave so much to over the years.
Over 100 runners and walkers traversed the course that wound through the neighborhoods of Doylestown Borough on a beautiful fall Saturday morning. Fire trucks and firefighters from both companies lined the course, cheering on the participants. Scouts manned the water station at Linden Elelmentary School. The winner was Megan D’Arcangelo in a time of 20:19. The second place winner and top male finisher was David Boelker, with a time of 21:22.
After the race, participants and fans gathered at the Doylestown Fire Company firehouse on Shewell Ave. for refreshments and an award ceremony. In addition to the 2 top finishers, awards were given to third place overall runner Andy Jarin, fourth place overall Ryan Bennett, second overall femaile Erin Burker and Aubrie Fennecken, who was awarded third place overall female after Lauren Casey, a family member, was disqualified for being related to Megan and George Casey.
Results are available at www.pretzelcitysport.com
For more information on the George Casey 5k, go to www.georgecasey5k.org
Doylestown Fire Company’s annual Fire Prevention Open House kicks off Fire Prevention week every October First Friday. This year’s event featured the fire company’s fire safety house, where kids and parents got to learn about fire prevention and safety issues. Kids were also able to try on fire gear, put out a “house fire” with a real fire hose, and tour fire trucks. Doyle the Dalmatian was giving and receiving hugs, and the Doylestown Fire Company Auxiliary served free food and beverages.
Also, Megan Browne, daughter of Fire Prevention Officer Larry Browne, assembled 2 baskets for a raffle she held at the event. Megan donated the proceeds to fire company president Bill Cope at the end of the evening. The winning baskets were won by Doylestown Borough resident Janet Casey and Caleb Rufe of Doylestown Township. The raffle raised $32.
Doylestown’s Fire Prevention Unit reminds everyone that every day is fire prevention day. Make sure you check your smoke detectors monthly, change the batteries when you change your clock, and practice a home safety drill at least once a year.
Firefighters from Doylestown and Warrington made quick work of a small fire in a dryer in the basement of the Vine and Fig Tree Bistro on E. State St. in Doylestown Borough Monday afternoon, October 3. Battalion 19, Paul Kreuter, arrived on scene and found an active fire in the dryer. Engine 19’s crew arrived and quickly extinguished the small fire. Ladders 79 and 29 ventilated and did overhaul, and all companies were picked up in a short time. There were no injuries and damage only to the dryer.
Poco’s Restaurant owner Wayne Cauble presents Doylestown Fire Company president Bill Cope and Deputy Chief Ed Truman with a check for $4226, the proceeds of a fund raiser held at the restaurant on 9/11/11, in honor of the work of Doylestown firefighters on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Cauble said that $1356 of the donation was from cash donations by customers that evening at the Doylestown landmark, and $2870 was the net profit for the night from sales at the restaurant and bar.
The members of Doylestown Fire Company No. 1 are very appreciative of the generosity and efforts of Wayne Cauble, his staff and the customers that evening.
Members of Doylestown Fire Company No. 1 have responded to over 400 emergency calls in 2011 and in 2010 recorded over 15,000 hours of volunteer service to the Doylestown and Central Bucks area. The company has been an all-volunteer organization since 1879.