As the Halloween snowstorm of 2011 raged along the east coast, the members of Doylestown Fire Company were busy keeping the area safe. Firefighters and fire police responded to dozens of calls for downed trees and wires starting mid-day Saturday. At 9:26 PM Saturday night, the fire company was dispatched to 13 Maple Lane in Doylestown Borough for a chimney fire. Battalion 19, Paul Kreuter, was first on scene and found that the fire from a fireplace had spread to the wall of the home directly above the fireplace. Engine 19 arrived and with the help of Ladder 79 opened the wall above the fireplace and quickly extinguished it. Warrington and Plumsteadville firefighters assisted, along with Central Bucks Ambulance. The scene was cleared by 11 PM. There were no injuries, and minor smoke and structural damage to the residence.
During the course of the storm and it’s aftermath, the all volunteer members of the fire company responded to 35 emergency calls. They have now responded to over 550 calls for the year.
Doylestown Fire Company reminds everyone with the cold weather upon us, don’t take the safety of your heat sources for granted. Have your heaters and fireplace/chimney checked, cleaned and maintained every season.