Tuesday, January 21, 2020 was a bitter cold, but sunny morning. Temperatures in the teens make for a frigid start to the day, and a need to heat inside. The call came in at 8:02 AM, for a chimney fire at 220 E. Ashland Ave. in Doylestown Borough. Doylestown Borough fire marshal, Scott Fleischer, was first on scene and reported smoke in the interior of the home and smoke from the chimney. Engines 19 and 19-1 and Ladder 79 responded and mitigated the situation in 45 minutes.
In order to check the flues, a weight on a chain is dropped down the flue to knock loose any burning debris and loosen blockages. That requires ascending to the roof, regardless of the weather.
Remember- heaters are instruments that need to be kept running perfectly to prevent fires. The exhaust system is a big part of that. Keep your flues clean by getting professionals to inspect and clean them regularly.