The volunteer members of the fire company responded to a few “almosts” last week. “Almosts”, as in an incident that was almost much worse. With that in mind, and the knowledge that thankfully no one was seriously injured, we offer the following-
1- When cooking, don’t leave anything over heat unattended. We’ve had a string of kitchen incidents where unattended contents caught fire.
2- If a pot suddenly flashes and fire erupts, cover it with a fireproof lid. Don’t try to extinguish it if you can smother it.
3- Don’t attempt to move the pot.
4- Get everyone out and call 911.
5- Don’t attempt to fight the fire yourself. We are trained, equipped and ready. Our main concern is your safety.
6- Smoke detectors on every floor and every bedroom. They save lives.
We have many more of these. Got a question- please ask! If we can’t answer, we’ll get you to someone who can.
Thanks to Mike Markowitz for the donation at the March monthly business meeting- 20% of sales at Hickory Kitchen on 2/23, plus an additional amount from Mike and staff. Mike and his crew are great neighbors and better people who care about the Doylestown community!
Also, since clocks change this weekend- be sure to check and change all batteries in your smoke detectors! Discard and replace any over 10 years old.
Pancake tickets are available online and at local stores. Keep an eye on our social media pages for additional opportunities.
And last, even though we thought we were done with winter, if we do get the “big one”, make sure to keep your local hydrants clear and happy. Remember, seconds count!
Thanks to everyone who came out and participated in our annual open house on October 7. There were lots of learning and fun activities, great organizations like Red Paw Emergencey Relief Team and the Teddy Bear Clinic from Doylestown Hospital’s Emergency Division, and delicious hotdogs and desserts from our Auxiliary!
The 6th annual Doylestown Fire Company Fire Prevention Open House will be held on October 2, 2015 from 6:30-9 PM at the fire house at 68 Shewell Ave. in Doylestown Borough. In addition to fire prevention education, firetrucks tours and firefighters, there are a few new additions to the event.
Everyone attending is asked to bring new pet supplies for donation to Red Paw Emergency Relief Team, a regional volunteer organization that assists pets and their families affected by emergencies or disasters.
The judging and awards presentation of Discover Doylestown’s Doylestown Junior Builders LEGO Contest will be part of the evening. There’s a special category just for fire related LEGO creations!
Eric Darling, a retired California firefighter who is now a member of the Ridley Park (Delaware county, PA) Fire Dept. will be demonstrating the skills of his canine partners Ben and Wyatt. Ben and Wyatt are detection and search and rescue certified and work with Ben on the Pennsylvania PA-TF1 Urban Search and Rescue team. They recently assisted with the search for victims in the wake of the Philadelphia Amtrak derailment.
In addition, the Teddy Bear Clinic from Doylestown Hospital’s Emergency Department will be in attendance to take care of the needs of any stuffed friends. Kids are encouraged to bring their favorite stuffed buddies!
We’ll also have representatives from local non-profit organizations, an ambulance from Central Bucks EMS, and activities and demonstrations for all ages!
Station 19 was a busy place on August 27, as people and firefighters from all over flocked there. During the afternoon, the crew from Lunch Productions shot more video with fire company members and a social-media driven gathering of community members of all ages for a video shoot around the Borough. Over 60 people, young and old alike, met at the firehouse and were dispatched in three groups to the County Theatre, Doylestown Bookshop and Bagel Barrel. Then Engine 19 drove around town, passing the locations as the groups happily waved to the crew, and the crew waved back! Thanks to everyone who saw the posting on social media and the regional media outlets that picked it up. It was a fun and successful day!
After the video was shot around town, family members met at the station for some more shooting for the video, which will be called Let’s Go to the Firehouse, a book and video package being produced by Doylestown’s own Lunch Productions and distributed by Scholastic Books in fall of 2015.
Later, as part of weekly drill night, Point Pleasant Fire Company brought Dive Rescue 41, formerly Rescue 19, for a familiarization session with the members. Dive team members showed our firefighters how the truck is outfitted, the equipment carried, and what the roles and responsibilities of the members of the team have. Thanks to Station 41 for the presentation and for bringing the old girl back home for the evening!
You may have seen us out and about in your neighborhood. Doylestown volunteers took time during the middle of the storm to clear out hydrants around town. We couldn’t get everywhere, so please make sure your hydrant is cleared off.
The storm continues tonight with another round of heavy snow. Please be safe out there.
On Oct. 4, 2013, from 6:30- 9 PM, the Doylestown Fire Company will host their annual Fire Prevention Open House and Community Expo at the Shewell Ave. station at 68 Shewell Ave. in Doylestown Borough.. In addition to the fire trucks and fire safety lessons, there will be representatives from community organizations as part of the first community expo.
Bring a canned or non-perishable food item for the Bucks County Housing Group’s food pantry. Lean about Hope for Hails, a group working to raise funds for Hailey Bezos, a 12-year old Lenape Middle Schools student who contracted a rare form of Encephalitis. The Pennsylvania State Police will be there with safety and crime prevention tips. Red Paw Emergency Rescue will be there with their response vehicle and an ambassador pet. The Central Bucks Family YMCA will be there with games for kids and information about programs, including the Blaze Brigade, a program for kids from 8-14 with the fire company to learn about firefighting and the volunteer opportunities.
There will be fire trucks to tour, a fire hose to put out a “house” for kids, demonstrations of firefighting techniques and home safety, and goodies for the kids. Central Bucks Ambulance will be there with tours of their equipment, as will the Bucks County Hazardous Incident Team.
For more information, check our website at www.doylestownfireco.org, or Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/DoylestownFireCompany, or on Twitter at @dfc1979news.
The Doylestown Fire Company’s annual fire prevention open house will be held on Friday, October 5th, 2011 from 6:30 PM until 9:00 PM. The event revolves around having fun while also educating kids and adults about fire safety. There will be fire trucks, fire safety information, gear for kids and adults to try on, and Doyle the Dalmatian!
The event is free! Please stop by and say hello to your local fire volunteers at the Shewell Ave. Firehouse at 68 Shewell Ave, in Doylestown Borough.
Doylestown Fire Company’s annual Fire Prevention Open House kicks off Fire Prevention week every October First Friday. This year’s event featured the fire company’s fire safety house, where kids and parents got to learn about fire prevention and safety issues. Kids were also able to try on fire gear, put out a “house fire” with a real fire hose, and tour fire trucks. Doyle the Dalmatian was giving and receiving hugs, and the Doylestown Fire Company Auxiliary served free food and beverages.
Also, Megan Browne, daughter of Fire Prevention Officer Larry Browne, assembled 2 baskets for a raffle she held at the event. Megan donated the proceeds to fire company president Bill Cope at the end of the evening. The winning baskets were won by Doylestown Borough resident Janet Casey and Caleb Rufe of Doylestown Township. The raffle raised $32.
Doylestown’s Fire Prevention Unit reminds everyone that every day is fire prevention day. Make sure you check your smoke detectors monthly, change the batteries when you change your clock, and practice a home safety drill at least once a year.