The volunteer members of the fire company responded to a few “almosts” last week. “Almosts”, as in an incident that was almost much worse. With that in mind, and the knowledge that thankfully no one was seriously injured, we offer the following-
1- When cooking, don’t leave anything over heat unattended. We’ve had a string of kitchen incidents where unattended contents caught fire.
2- If a pot suddenly flashes and fire erupts, cover it with a fireproof lid. Don’t try to extinguish it if you can smother it.
3- Don’t attempt to move the pot.
4- Get everyone out and call 911.
5- Don’t attempt to fight the fire yourself. We are trained, equipped and ready. Our main concern is your safety.
6- Smoke detectors on every floor and every bedroom. They save lives.
We have many more of these. Got a question- please ask! If we can’t answer, we’ll get you to someone who can.
Thanks to Mike Markowitz for the donation at the March monthly business meeting- 20% of sales at Hickory Kitchen on 2/23, plus an additional amount from Mike and staff. Mike and his crew are great neighbors and better people who care about the Doylestown community!
Also, since clocks change this weekend- be sure to check and change all batteries in your smoke detectors! Discard and replace any over 10 years old.
Pancake tickets are available online and at local stores. Keep an eye on our social media pages for additional opportunities.
And last, even though we thought we were done with winter, if we do get the “big one”, make sure to keep your local hydrants clear and happy. Remember, seconds count!